Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Birds

Rob hates birds. He will avoid the bird houses at the zoo, physically dodge pigeons on the street, and doesn't even laugh when I tell him I'm going to get a pet bird someday- not even the cute talking parrots, he hates those too. And today, the seagulls invaded our beach. It was the perfect beach day on the Cape, and considering it was my last Cape beach day with Rob for the year, we were pretty lucky to have such nice weather. There were more kids on our beach than normal today, and with 90% of them being little boys, of course they were up to no good. At first the seagulls were circling because of the mess of food crumbs the kids had left all over the beach. Next thing we know, the kids are baiting the birds- throwing them chips, and then wailing rocks and wiffle balls at them when they tried to eat the chips.

The more birds the kids attracted, the more concerned Rob became. Our first thought was, Ok kids enough. Our second was, where are these kids parents and why aren't they telling them not to feed the birds?! Eventually the kids lost interest, but the birds were still pretty interested in the food scattered around us. At this point I am looking at Rob and wondering what he could be reacting to. He is sitting facing the birds, staring, mouth partially opened, looking so serious. I turn around to see a gang of seagulls walking towards us, and next thing I know, Rob throws his towels to the ground (one covering his legs, the other his head) and jumps out of his beach chair. My cousin Ashely asks what Rob is doing, as he yells that he hates birds and sprints full force at the seagulls trying to chase them away. I just shook my head, laughed and said yes, that's my future husband waging war on the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment