Friday, November 12, 2010

Marathon medal number 4



The hubs did it again! Another great marathon under his belt. Even I was a tad bit nervous about how this race was going to go. Mostly because of how Rob spoke about it in the weeks leading up to the marathon, but also because of his foot bothering him, how the hills and heat of Atlanta made training more of a challenge than he was used to, and add grad school and a puppy to the mix- he wasn't getting as much sleep as he should have.

Well, you never would have known any of those things were a concern on race day. He did an outstanding job, finishing and finishing well, in 3hours 15 minutes. Kimberly had an iphone app that allowed us to watch live footage of the elite runners in the marathon, and also track Rob along the course so we always knew what mile he was at and what his pace was. We saw him at mile 17 on 1st Avenue and again at mile 24 in Central Park. All I can say is thank goodness we saw him and he saw us. That is always the best and most nerve-wracking part of any marathon for me- being on the look out for Rob, heart skipping a beat with every green shirt runner I see wondering if it's him, holding my camera in position ready to get the action shot, wondering if I somehow missed him go by, and then seeing him run by- doing what he loves and works so hard for throughout the year. The next best part is seeing him after the race and giving him a big hug. He makes me such a proud wife.

What a great experience it was going to the NYC marathon (more so for Rob obviously). The fun thing about marathons is that they all have a different vibe to them. Whereas the Boston marathon was our home town race, and the Burlington, VT marathon was more of the small town race, the NYC marathon was definitely the big city race. One downfall of the big city race is my second favorite part of the marathon- trying to meet up with your runner after the race. It took us nearly 2 hours to get from our look out spot at mile 24 to Rob. That meant he finished around 1pm, and we didn't get to congratulate him until 2:30pm (much different from the Burlington race where I was hugging him within minutes of him crossing the finish line). I am so glad I was with my Father-in-law. The number of subway lines and blocks we had to walk to get to Rob, I don't know if I ever would have found him on my own.

What's up next? Back to our home town race baby...Boston in April!

No comments:

Post a Comment