Friday, November 19, 2010

Crazy little bride for a day

Yesterday I had a mission: Track down and purchase as much Flourish in Robin's Egg Blue Wedgwood china as I could. This required me driving to 3 different Macy's stores, being referred to as a "little bride" multiple times by a sales associate, and inspecting multiple plates and cups and saucers for imperfections. It took me back to last June, feeling like a crazy bride again where only 1 thing mattered. Back then it was searching for tiny picture frames for the table numbers, or the perfect color ribbon to tie together the flip flops. This time I was in search of more of my beautiful china place settings, because sadly my pattern has been DISCONTINUED.

I have to say, Macy's you frustrate me. I first realized something was up with my china in September when I looked up my Macy's wedding registry and the china was no longer available for purchase online. When I called Macy's to ask them about it, they weren't totally sure why it wasn't online anymore, sometimes things go on and off the website, but that it was still available in the stores. I went to a few Macy's stores and yes it was still on display, so I stopped worrying about it.

Fast forward to 2 days ago when Rob's grandma emails us about a situation with our china. She ordered us a nice serving piece for our wedding gift back in July, and Macy's told her and us that it was on back order and we wouldn't get the dish until January. That seemed like a long time to wait, but no big deal. Well, Grandma got a letter from Macy's last week saying that the china pattern was discontinued so we would not be getting the serving piece at all. Luckily she is a determined, strong woman and wasn't going to let Macy's win this one, so she went to 4 different Macy's and somehow tracked down the serving piece. Woo hoo! After she informed us of this, I decided I needed to track down more place settings and accent plates asap. I'm happy to report that I found the last available place settings in the Atlanta area, and we are now all stocked up in the china department.

Rob and I had to stop and laugh, because to be honest, all of the china we got as wedding gifts is still boxed up and sitting in our dining room buffet table. Essentially it is untouched...besides the occasional time I take a piece out to say how pretty it is. And here I was freaking out that I didn't have enough of the so far untouched china. But I knew my freaking out wasn't unfounded, because my mom and the older Macy's sales woman reassured me that I was right to be tracking this stuff down now before it is harder to come by, more expensive and before one of my pieces inevitably breaks and I wish I had a replacement.

When I told Rob that I needed to get the appropriate storage materials from the Container Store to finally un-box and store the china in the buffet table he couldn't believe I was going to un-box it all. He pointed out that we would be moving again in the next few years, and how much easier it would be to move the china if it was still in the box. I told him he had a point, but that life is too short, we are using the good china now and then, especially after yesterday's adventures. "You're going to use it for a regular Tuesday night dinner, just the 2 of us?" I told him yes, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! You are right, life is too short not to use your china. We're not china people but any time champagne is involved, we use the cystal glasses from our wedding. Like you said, life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, use the china when you can! And if you need to replace discontinued items, try here: http://www.replacements.com/. We were able to find plates in my parents' wedding pattern (they were married 30+ years ago) after a few were broken.

    ReplyDelete