Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Amazing what a minute can do


One of my favorite things about being in a relationship with Rob is our love for the same band. It is more than just sharing a similar taste in music- my favorite band is his favorite band, and it has been that way since before we ever met each other. In a way, this shared love of the band helped bring us together in the first place. If it weren't for the extra large DMB poster covering the wall next to my dorm room doorway freshman year, Rob's roommate Kevin may not have realized I was into the same band as his obsessed roommate who had books and books of burned live DMB CDs. It was the same night Kevin saw my poster that Rob and I were introduced.

July 5th, 2000 was Rob's first time seeing DMB in concert. My first show was only 4 days later, July 9th, 2000. While I will give it to him that he has been to more shows than I have over the years, I think we have both lost count of just how many we have been to. It is the one thing that we will continue to go to regardless of when or where the show is, what day of the week it falls on, or how much the tickets cost. Last night we went to the first of our 2 shows for 2010, and it was excellent. The setlist was right on, not a song either one of us could complain about. Their energy on stage was fun to see, as always, and our seats weren't too bad either. But the show wouldn't have meant as much to me if I couldn't share it with the guy next to me. We have too much history together with this band, and when I see them I think of him.

One of the best moments at the concert last night was when they played So Damn Lucky. Rob looked at me and said 'Hey did we just log onto our wedding website?' We both like the song, but it's not 'our' song and I didn't even ask him before I made it the song of our wedding website. But it was a special moment for us, because it brought me back to the first time we heard that song together live. It was at the Dave and Friends concert in Boston our freshman year that we went to together, though we weren't yet a couple. That was such a special night for us, the start of something great, and here we were over 6 years later, soon to be married, listening to Dave sing the same song.

We're going back tonight for round 2, and we're going to enjoy every minute of it. If you haven't already heard, DMB isn't touring next year. For the first time in 20 years they are taking an entire year off. I have a feeling Rob and I are going to have a pretty busy 2011 anyway, but we'll look forward to more DMB goodness in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment