Sunday, January 30, 2011

The new dog in the park

This weekend the temperature reached 70 degrees in Atlanta, both Saturday and Sunday! We had our balcony door open, I wore short sleeved shirts and flip flops, we had special Fresh Market burgers and zucchini for dinner because it felt like a warm weather meal, and we even fired up the margaritaville machine.

But the highlight of the weekend was walking around Atlanta's beautiful Piedmont Park and taking Roxanne to the special off-leash dog section. It was her first dog park experience, and mine as well. When I first saw how big it was and how many dogs were running around inside, I was a little nervous and honestly didn't know how well Roxanne would handle all that fun and freedom. Rob wasn't worried about her at all, and reassured me that she would be fine. So we went inside and I took off her leash, and after about a minute of trotting around and scoping the place out, she was off.



You would have thought I just watched my child get on a bus for her first day of kindergarten the way I reacted. I said, "Aw, Rob, I can't believe she just took off like that, without even looking back...she isn't even looking for us!" Rob laughed and reminded me that she is a dog and when given the opportunity to be off of her leash and around lots of other dogs she will take advantage of it and act like all of the other dogs. If she hadn't run off to go play, I would have been upset that she wasn't having fun like everyone else. She found little dogs to chase, got chased by big dogs, jumped over dogs, chased balls, ran around and around with packs of dogs, went up to strangers to let them pet her, rolled down the hill and got bark embedded in her fur, and she loved it!



She had such a good time at the park yesterday that we went back again today! We went in the morning, and Roxanne and I hit up the dog park while Rob went running. I'm sure Roxanne can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment