Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ew


I have never really been the type of girl who needed my guy to kill bugs for me, but if he's around I always appreciate his assistance with such matters. Rob and my Dad might disagree with me, saying the screeching sound I make when dealing with bugs proves I need help. But ask Lisa who took care of the spiders in the Cape house this summer...not her! Anyway, I never really needed a guy to kill the bugs for me until we moved to the South...the home of the palmetto bug.

In case you haven't spent much time in the South, I should tell you that a palmetto bug is just a cute way of saying cockroach. They are large, disgusting, and one of the fastest running insects around, which I found out the hard way. One night last week I was watching TV when I saw a baby palmetto bug crawling up the living room wall from behind the TV. Rob had already gone to bed, so I grabbed a chair and paper towel from the kitchen and squished the little sucker. No problem.

Fast forward to the following night. Rob was already sleeping (note: I have and always will be the night owl of the house, and Rob is the opposite), when I walked into our sink/closet area to get ready for bed. Before I even turned on the light, I saw a rather large dark spot on the carpet near the door that connects the bedroom and sink/closet area. No way I thought. I turned on the light and yes way. It was a huge palmetto bug. I grabbed some tissues and it was already half way up the wall. I shrieked a little, tried to squish the bug, but all I really ended up doing was brushing him onto the floor. He was just too big, I could not bring myself to squish something that big. So I went into the bedroom and stood at the foot of the bed saying Rob's name over and over, a little louder each time, until finally he got up and I told him he needed to kill a bug for me. He was still half asleep but said something along the lines of, 'a bug? right now? are you serious?' By the time he walked into the sink/closet area, the thing had run across the floor and hid somewhere back behind Rob's safe in the closet. Rob went back to bed, and I stayed in that closet for a good 15 minutes trying to find it, with no luck. I did not sleep well that night.

The next day I was walking on egg shells throughout the apartment, convinced it was going to show up at one point or another. But I never saw it. Rob tried to convince me that it could have been anywhere by then- back outside, under the carpet, down the drain, in another apartment, etc. I almost believed him, until last night. I was filling out a survey online for a job application I was filling out and decided to take my laptop into the bedroom where I could concentrate better. As soon as I sat on the bed, I jumped up and ran back to the living room to tell Rob the bug was back and crawling up our bedroom wall! I thank God for Rob, my palmetto bug killer, and for being able to sleep better at night...until the next one shows up.

5 comments:

  1. UGH, if I saw a cockroach I would die. The other night I was reading on our bed and there was one of those creepy bugs with all the legs on the ceiling (I don't even know what they're called) - I went into the other room where Chris was playing on the computer and made him go in and try to kill it, and it ran away... I totally stayed in the room where he was instead of going back in our bedroom alone. Gross!!! We never saw it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do too kill spiders at the beach!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...these are disgusting bugs. Wait until you see one fly! Of my three daughter's, when it comes to bugs, the loudest screamer is Michelle. Dad used to come running thinking something really bad was happening to her, haha. It sounds like you need to call maintenance and tell them your apt. needs to be sprayed asap! Which reminds me, I have to call my bug man too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...I should have said, when it was just me and Lisa at the house, guess who killed the bugs...you made me do it, probably by acting more scared than you were!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jess!
    let your apartment complex know. They might have a contract with Terminix or something that comes out and sprays the complex and possibly individuals apartments. Usually they need to spray the exterior of the apt and then the inside. The stuff you buy in the stores does not work. Also they love empty cardboard boxes. I have no idea why but when we were moving out of our apt the weeks leading up to the move I saw more and more as we brought more boxes into the house for packing!

    ReplyDelete