Wednesday, September 8, 2010

ATL-CHI-SAV-ATL

It has been a whirlwind of a week, but things are feeling a little more back to normal now. For starters, I'm back in Atlanta. The short notice 10 day trip I took seemed to throw me off balance a bit. Especially when you consider I had only lived in Atlanta for all of 12 days before I flew out of town. It was almost like my time in Atlanta had been an extended stay or vacation, not a permanent move. After being in Chicago for only a couple of days, Rob called and told me he ate at California Pizza Kitchen and was looking at microwaves in Target (yes, we have a microwave now...Rob lasted one day without me at home to cook for him before he bought one ;) It took me 10 minutes into the conversation before I realized I was envisioning him at the CPK in Boston, and the Target in Watertown.

Grandma Bobinette passed away the day after I wrote my blog entry about it, very early on September 1st. I had a feeling when we said goodbye to her that evening at the hospital that that really might be the final goodbye. I don't know if we were ready for it. I don't think you can ever be really ready for a death. But after spending her final days by her side in her hospital room, I think we had accepted what was coming, and felt comfort knowing she was surrounded by her loved ones at the end. My mom planned a very nice memorial service for her the Friday after her passing, followed by a lunch at her long time favorite restaurant The Wellington, where we toasted to her with bloody marys. She will be loved, missed, and remembered always.

My time in Chicago wasn't all sad though. My Dad's mom, Grandma Doris, lives there too. It was nice to spend quality time with her, and explore her old house and all of her many many photo albums, some dating back to when I was first born. Lisa and I realized we had not been to Grandma's house since new years Y2K...when we were all freaking out and preparing for the worst, and were mildly disappointed when not even a single light went out at midnight.

From Chicago I flew to Savannah to spend Labor Day weekend at the in-law's house, along with Rob, Rob's bro Tom, gf Linnea, step-bro Justin and wife Hilary. And Bailey their labradoodle who turned 5 yrs old today! They have a beautiful home, and it's always fun spending time there with everyone. It was the usual Labor Day weekend, full of college football, the pool, too much food, and walking around downtown Savannah. The only disappointing thing was that up until last week I had it in my head that Savannah was a 2 hour drive from Atlanta....nope, it's 4 hours. I realized I had no reason for assuming it was a 2 hour drive, other than the fact that both cities are in Georgia. Again I must remind myself, you're not in Massachusetts anymore! Georgia is much bigger.

1 comment:

  1. the second summer I lived back in Texas we took a vaca to west Texas. Ross told me "7 hours" but how long 7 hours is and how much ground you cover never really sinks in until that last 30 minutes. Ugh and just FYI we started basically in the middle of Texas, drove 7 hours west and were still in Texas. Welcome to big southern states my dear!

    ReplyDelete