Friday, December 3, 2010

The ice cream is too cold

I have a pet peeve, a pet peeve I didn't even know existed until Rob. It is one thing when people occasionally chew with their mouth open. It's annoying, yes, but it normally doesn't last long and I can get over it. What drives me nuts is how my husband eats his ice cream- chewing it with his mouth open.

I wish I was more patient with this habit of his, but I'm not. I can't remember if he always ate his ice cream like this, like back in the day in Warren Towers when we'd get pints of Ben and Jerry's at Late Nite and eat them for a snack (embarrassing). He probably did, but when you are starting out in a relationship you don't tend to notice the little potentially annoying things when you are head over heels for the person. Even if you do notice something, the last thing you are going to do is tell them about it. More than likely you will just push it out of your mind and concentrate on something else. But we've been together for almost 7 years now, and while we might be newlyweds, this is still a different time than when we were 1st year love birds.

This is typically what happens maybe once every month or two: We'll be on the couch some evening watching TV and one of us will dish out the ice cream. Ice cream is not a staple in our freezer, so that is why this is happening occasionally and not every week. I usually finish mine first, and then all I hear is Rob continuing to eat his. I stare at him for a while, before he asks "What?" I say "Nothing...you are eating your ice cream loud, it's bothering me." He replies with the all too clever, "I know but the ice cream is too cold, I can't eat it with my mouth shut." Ahh! Not true, I eat mine with my mouth shut. I say, "I tell you this every time, you know it drives me nuts." "I know but it's cold." And he eats about 2 bites in silence, before it gets loud all over again. This may be one habit I will never be able to break him of, so I guess I just have to get over it already. But, if he goes back for seconds, I will have to leave the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment