Sunday, August 22, 2010

Operation Microwave

The real title of this post should be "Operation How long can we live without a microwave," but that would have been too long of a title.

On a positive note, we are all moved in! Yay!! We are proud, happy, new Atlanta residents and enjoying it so far. The move went much smoother than I had expected. I'm not quite sure what I thought might go wrong, but just the idea of us transporting all of our possessions in a Budget truck and my Saturn Vue from Boston to Atlanta- 1145 miles- sounds like enough of an opportunity for things to go wrong. We are not fully unpacked, or organized enough to take pictures of the new place and post them online for all to see, but we are getting there.

Rob moved in on Saturday the 14th (which I was happy about, because we originally told the apartment complex our move in date would be Friday August the 13th- way too risky), and I arrived on Monday. It wasn't until Tuesday evening that it hit me. I was finishing up unpacking the kitchen stuff, when I looked around and stared at the stove, and the lack of anything significant above the stove besides a small light/fan switch. Then I scanned the counters with no luck. We had no microwave, and didn't realize it until 3 days after move in!

I'll admit, we're doing fine so far without one. It's almost like I wish I wouldn't have realized we were missing one though. How amazing would it have been to go without a microwave for a whole month before realizing it? Then I might have been able to convince myself we really don't need one. The real reason I'm kicking myself is because we HAD one, a nice one, but for the past year we didn't need it at our 15 Euston Rd apartment, so we put it in the basement at the Cape house. And there it sits, 1145 miles away from our kitchen.

So far we've only missed the microwave for re-heating some left-overs (which Rob ended up eating cold) and for cooking bbq teriyaki chicken from Trader Joes which takes 4 times longer to cook on the stove. My mom's solution to all of this is to take our microwavable goods to the super nice communal kitchen that is attached to the main office and lounge area of the apartment complex. It really is a short walk from my apartment to that kitchen, but lets be honest, I am going to have to be pretty hungry or desperate before I start walking down the path, through the swimming pool area, up the steps and past the pool table room to do my cooking!

1 comment:

  1. We don't have a microwave either! We've made it almost a whole month without running out to buy one. So far, the only thing I miss is being able to quickly heat up water for tea. I've never had a tea kettle so I took this as a great opportunity to buy a pretty blue tea kettle :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete