Friday, July 8, 2011

The residents of the Nevadan

Our apartment complex definitely has some interesting characters living in it. For example, the man who lives on the 3rd floor one building over. He has apparently turned his balcony into a barber shop, equipped with an actual barber chair, where he cuts hair. When he isn't cutting someone's hair, he is often on his balcony yelling down to others who pass by, asking them if they want a cut or know someone who does. The whole thing is kind of amusing, except for the clumps of hair that can be found on the ground below where I walk Roxanne. As much as I can't stand the people above me with the bird feeders and the seed falling all over the place, I suppose if I had to choose I'd pick bird seed over hair on my balcony.

The other day I had one of the strangest encounters to date. I was walking Roxanne along the grass near the tennis courts, when a middle aged black guy with a crazy lazy eye and neon shoelaces approached us on his way to his building. The conversation went something like this...

Guy: There's that fluffy dog again! Man I see her everywhere, what kind is she?
Me: Haha, yeah she needs a haircut soon. She's a Goldendoodle.
Guy: Wow, she is beautiful! Just beautiful.
Me: Thank you! Her name is Roxanne. She's a puppy still, so she's full of energy.

(Up until this point the conversation is pretty normal and typical of what people usually say when they see us out walking. Here is where it got weird..)

Guy: Hey, have you ever seen the movie Burn Notice?
Me: No, I haven't. I've heard of it though (and I'm aware that it's a TV show, not a movie).
Guy: Oh you haven't?!? I think it's on TBS or something like that. Anyway, there's this character Michael on the show, and I could see his mom having a dog just like this! Yeah, like someone real cool would have a dog like this.
Me: Oh yeah? (Really I'm thinking HUH??? How did you come up with that? And it's not even like we are trying to figure out whose dog this is or who would own a dog like this...I am the owner! Are you saying I'm not cool?)

Luckily the guy's phone rang right about then and he said he really had to take the call, so he answered and continued on his way. Good thing too, because I really didn't know where to take that conversation next.

No comments:

Post a Comment