Friday, June 24, 2011

I'm not much of a cuddler

There have been many times over the past two years that I have thought to myself, "Yes, my best good night's sleeps are behind me." I am, unfortunately, a very light, very specific sleeper. If I am not laying straight, on my stomach, head turned toward my edge of the bed, with the sheet covering me, I will probably have a hard time falling asleep. I don't toss, I don't turn, and I don't cuddle unless I'm awake. I wish I wasn't such a specific kind of sleeper, but I can't help it.

Rob is a very different kind of sleeper, pretty much the opposite of me. He can fall asleep any time, any place, in any position. He tosses every which way, loses his pillow, talks in his sleep, grinds his teeth and he can sleep through anything (Really, you name it, he can sleep through it...the front door opening or closing, his phone, my phone alarm. How lucky is he and how unlucky am I, especially when babies come along). I have always been amused by people who talk in their sleep and will usually try to carry on a conversation with them if possible, so this doesn't bother me nearly as much as the teeth grinding. Though Rob doesn't remember, I have told him that whenever I hear him doing it in the middle of the night I make a humming sound to block out the horrible noise and give him a little elbow or kick. Rob has no tooth discomfort, but whenever he goes to the dentist I think surely they are going to notice he is grinding his teeth away and recommend a mouth guard...nope, hasn't happened.

Yesterday, I finally went to my first dentist appointment since moving to Atlanta. I had been putting it off and putting it off, but as my on and off tooth pain increased I knew it was time to make the appointment. Rob is a huge fan of the dental office he goes to, so I decided to go to the same place. Besides the dentist confirming what I knew was inevitable- I need a root canal- she also suggested something else. I almost fell off the chair when she said, "Do you notice if you clench or grind your teeth, maybe at night? I am seeing some breakdown and think a mouth guard might help." I wanted to say, "What?! You have got to be kidding me." But instead I said, "Ok, I'll think about it."

1 comment: