Monday, May 17, 2010

The missing meatballs

Everyone says it won't happen to them, until it does. If you're lucky to grow up with great parents who raise you well, you know that much of who you are has been shaped by their words and actions. But every now and then growing up you hear them say something or do something, and you swear you will never be like that when you get older. Before you know it, you are just like them.

I had an 'I am my mother' moment the other day. Rob said he wanted to make spaghetti and meatballs and garlic bread for dinner, so I said I would pick up the necessary items at the store. I haven't exactly attempted to make my own meatballs yet, so I usually get my meatballs from the frozen section. I thought we still had some in the freezer, so asked Rob to check before I bought more. I was at work, so he checked for the meatballs while I was on the phone with him. None were to be found, but I insisted he look harder because I was pretty sure of the contents of our freezer. No meatballs. I said ok fine, but if I find them when I get home tomorrow, I swear.

The next morning I came home, groceries in hand, and as I open the freezer to put away the new bag of meatballs, I quickly spot the half eaten bag of meatballs that were no where to be seen the night before. I think I let out an Ugghh, and immediately picked up my phone to text Rob what I had found. I made a smart remark along the lines of 'It took me all of 5 seconds to find the meatballs!'

Right after I pressed the send button, I felt bad. I was instantly reminded of all the times my mom got frustrated with my dad when he couldn't find things that were 'staring him right in the face', usually in the kitchen cabinets or the refrigerator. Almost every time that happened, my sisters and I would stick up for my dad, saying so what if he couldn't find it? Leave him alone. And there I was, about to freak out on my fiance for something as silly as a $5.99 bag of meatballs. I guess that's what can happen when you reach a certain comfort level with someone. You don't hold back emotions over the small things like you normally would with others.

This meatball mishap actually happened months ago, I have just been saving this post for a while. It was a small thing that we've frankly almost forgotten about, and will undoubtedly happen again with something other than meatballs. But in Rob and my dad's defense, turns out there may be a scientific reason why men aren't as good at finding things as women. The video clip below sums it up pretty well!


No comments:

Post a Comment