Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fruit

I've known Rob for over 6 years. I can't remember when the fruit thing ever came about, but there is one breakfast with him that sticks out in my mind. We were eating outside at a restaurant on Newbury St. and I noticed he hadn't touched the strawberries on the side of his plate. I asked why, and he said I could have them because he didn't like them. I'm pretty sure I said 'What-who doesn't like strawberries?!' But mostly I was just thinking SCORE- I get all of Rob's strawberries from now on.

This was early on in our relationship. Over time I came to find out it wasn't just strawberries. He doesn't like blueberries, pineapple, peaches, nectarines, plums, etc. Come to think of it, I've really only seen him eat bananas, grapes and watermelon. I've tried more than once to get him to try pomegranate, with no luck. Besides not liking certain fruits, I realized his knowledge of fruits might be a little off. I almost died when we were at the grocery check-out one day and he commented that he liked just about everything we were buying, except for the kiwi...there weren't any kiwis on the belt, it was a pineapple! His next guess was pineapple, and he swears he was kidding, but I really don't know.

I'm not trying to call out Rob here. I'm more so wondering why I even care about Rob and his fruit. Why do I quiz him in the produce section of the grocery store on the names of fruit? Why do I try to make him try a piece of my mango gum insisting he'll like it if he tries it, when he tells me he knows he doesn't like mangos. Maybe I hope he'll discover a fruit he's been missing out on all these years. Maybe I want to convince him blueberries aren't half bad so that I can bake blueberry muffins for us once in a while. But mostly, I probably just like to poke fun about it now and then with him because it's become a thing over the years. Whether I intended for it to become a thing or not, it is, and it's just something I love to hate about him.

We had our wedding cake tasting the other day. First was deciding on the cake design, which we both agreed on no problems. Turns out neither of us are big fans of lots of buttercream flowers on wedding cakes. Then we tried 5 different flavors of cake. I shouldn't have been surprised when I asked Rob how he liked the chocolate raspberry mousse filling and he said 'Not so much,' but I still found myself saying 'Are you serious?? But it's soo good!'

No comments:

Post a Comment